By Rob Watson
I forget now why we, Best Friend and I, were wearing our best suits, hats, and overcoats. Whatever it was, we were done and on our own in his hot new Olds 442. First stop, Moons Bar. There we loaded up on drinking products. The only one I recall, for more reasons than one, was a half pint of Jim Beam. Jim Beam was the last. In the days soft drinks were served in cups with ice in a cup from a machine, we got one. Poured out, or drank most of the soft drink, such that the half pint fit in what remained. I tasted it. Best Friend drank the rest.
As we drove around Small Town, we came upon a friend in his pickup. We drove up such that we faced the side of the truck, forming a T. After speaking for a time, Best Friend chose to leave, started the car and shifted hard. He missed the intended reverse, gave it the gas, and rammed the truck, rolled back a bit, then hit it again. The owner got out and said "You hit my truck." "No, I did not." "You hit my truck!" "No, I did not!" I chimmed in with "Yes, Best Friend, you hit his truck!"
The rest of the evening is now a blur, until we got to his house. There one path lead to the family room and the other to our bedroom. We snuck to the bedroom. Picture an interrupted action where BF slowly removes each piece of clothing and carefully hangs it in his closet. He walkes over, climbs into bed and starts to snore.While BF is doing this, BFmother comes in and starts a friendly conversation. Shortly she notices her son is not responding, and is very drunk. She begins a first class temperance lesson, at near the top of her voice. When he starts to snore, She stops mid sentence and leaves the room. BFdad met us in the bedroom pathwhen he saw we were not sober, to say the least, and ask if we were OK other wise. I told about the Truck. He suggested we see about that the next day, and let us go. I turned in and went to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment