Saturday, April 11, 2020

One Quarter of a Master Point

By Rob Watson

Do you have some skill that, at a low level of involvement, you enjoy? Then when the involvement becomes concentrated and intense, you are first, very good and second, quite unhappy? I had such an experience some years ago.

The group with whom I worked, at the time, gathered at lunch each day and played bridge. As a way of expanding our joint experience we would occasionally attend amateur night at the local bridge club. That happened to be Thursdays.

The set up was this: tables for four were set up to accommodate all comers. The house supplied partners for the odd entry. Each table had four bridge hands dealt out. The pares would play each hand and keep score. The scores were compiled after every pair had played all the hands. (there is a name for this but it was long enough ago that I have forgotten it.)

Usually, my partner and I finished last, not just a little behind next-to-last, but a long way behind. I enjoyed myself immensely. My various partners seemed to as well.

One Monday I decided to go it alone. Not usually being the observant type, it escaped my notice that Monday was the night for the hard core, high end bridge players. (Daniel into the lion's den) My supplied partner was a local bridge champion. He appeared to be somewhat unhappy with his partner, but he was courteous and gracious all the same.

We began by discussing several bidding conventions and agreeing on how to play them. Then the game began. I was in a high state of concentration for the whole time, for every word spoken and every card played. (It felt like my blood pressure went up 100 points) When the score was tallied we were first... not just a few points above second but way ahead of second. My partner acted as if it was just another Monday night with the gang. For my part I was awarded one quarter of a master point.

So, if you want a happy-go-lucky, let the cards fall as they may, partner, I am your man. You want a winner, you'll have to look elsewhere. My reward for that kind of stress may be beyond your pay scale

No comments:

Post a Comment